The 2012 CrossFit Games Are Here!
Written By: Zach Labrecque
Coach Bowman: “Hey Coach Joan, do you know what time it is?”
Coach Joan: “Sure do, Coach Bowman. According to my watch it’s… CROSSFIT GAMES O’CLOCK! BOOYAH! Hey you in the corner… NO REP! ”
Okay, so that may have been the worst joke ever told in a newsletter of this caliber (I made another funny!), but Coach Joan is right. The 2012 Reebok CrossFit Games are finally upon us, and gee willikers are we ever excited about it!
This weekend, the fiercest CrossFit competitors from around the world will descend on the Home Depot Center in sunny Southern California to battle it out for the title of “Fittest on Earth” along with a piece of the $1 million prize purse . It promises to be a weekend filled with fun, sun, and of course, brutal WODs performed by superhumans and suspected cyborgs. Read on to learn more about this incredible event and what it means to the CrossFit community.
In 2007, Greg Glassman & co. put on what would be best described as a “shindig” at a ranch in Aromas, CA. Anybody who caught wind of the competition and felt up to the task could come out and compete for bragging rights and a shot at the $500 cash prize. A handful of early adopters and adventurous spirits made the trek to test their mettle against whoever the hell else decided to show up. It was a small event, but the battles were epic, the WODs were tough, and the communal spirit created by a passionate group united for one weekend around a common cause set the stage for the Games we know today.
Fast forward to 2012, and you can expect to see a much, MUCH bigger venue, the fittest audience in sports, a whopping prize purse, insanely competitive athletes, and more sex appeal than you can shake a stick at. As our CrossFit community has grown, so too have the Games. Here are the details on this year’s competition:
The Nitty Gritty :
- Venue: The Home Depot Center in Carson, CA
- Prize $: The $500 first prize has received a “slight” bump, thanks to a hefty contract from the folks at Reebok, and is now a whopping $250,000!
- Viewership: While the first CrossFit Games felt like a well attended BBQ, last year’s event was attended by an estimated 25,000 people.
- Divisions: Athletes will compete in multiple divisions including Individual Men, Individual Women, Team Competition, Masters 45-49, 50-54, 54-59, and 60+
- WODs: In the true spirit of CrossFit, WODs are not released until the week of the competition! As you well know, we specialize in not specializing, and all CrossFit athletes are encouraged to show up ready for any physical challenge.
- Athletes: The field of 150+ on the floor in the Home Depot Center started as a 55,000 competitor field representing 2,875 affiliates around the world. Those who made it through CrossFit Open competition proceeded to a three-day regional competition. Only the top athletes from the 17 regional competitions earn the right to compete in the CrossFit Games.
While the level of competition may be different from what you might experience at CrossFit Lake Mary every day, the battles going on in the six inches between the competitors’ ears are exactly the same. Somebody out there hates wall balls as much as you do. Somebody out there has been dealing with a nagging injury that sidelined them for weeks. Somebody forgot their favorite WOD socks at home, and at some point, everybody out there will hear a little voice in their head telling them they just can’t go any further.
But they’ll continue on anyway, just like you do each and every week. Limit found… limit obliterated. That’s what CrossFit is all about, and it’s unbelievably exciting to watch these athletes fight through the same battles we’ve all become so reluctantly familiar with out there on that big stage! So tune in, have fun, be inspired, and prepare to be one motivated CrossFitter in the weeks following the games.
I’m hoping I’ll have a chance to watch YOU compete on the floor of the Home Depot Center one day, but until then I’ll see you at the next WOD at CrossFit Lake Mary!
Friday, July 13th, 5:15 – 11:15pm, ET
Saturday, July 14th, 1:30 – 5pm, ET AND 8:30 – 11:30pm, ET
Sunday, July 15th, 1:30 – 7:30pm, ET
Visit games.crossfit.com for more details.